Have You Ever Wondered Why We All Love Pizza So Much?
Pizzas are great! It is no secret that pizza is one of the most loved comfort foods worldwide. Whether you decide to eat it at some fancy Italian restaurant in a big city or make it at home, pizza is something most people agree upon as one of the best foods around.
There is no denying that one of the most obvious reasons is the “awesome taste”. Other than the taste, the combination of how your pizza smells and looks is an integral part of overall pizza experience. Going beyond the choice of pizza toppings, the sauces, and the flavors used, the process of making an authentic, pizzeria style pizza many times has a lot to do with the type of pizza stone or pizza pan you are using. Yes, as simple as this might sound, the quality of the stone or pan you’re using has a lot to do with the end result.
These days, large portions of us relate pizza with American and Italian culture. Over time, many different recipes have been developed and changed the original recipes. Because of this, we now have hundreds, if not thousands of different options with a variety of fixings which are far from the original or conventional methods.
With that said, you’re here because you want the best pizza stone or pan money can buy. So, we’ve compiled a large list below of what we feel are a few of the best options available from both a pricing perspective, but also the features they provide as well as the overall quality. Anxious to check out a quick option before reading further, here’s one below …
WHY THIS STONE? – This is a MADE IN THE USA pizza stone featuring a dense, thick cordierite and is very heat shock resistant. It features a five-piece set of 6x9-inch tiles allows the flexibility of cooking small items like bread or a large pizza. The reviews are amazing and overall people are very satisfied with the “Dough-Joe”.
Value – The Only Pizza Stone With Thermarite (Engineered Tuff Cordierite)
This pizza stone will get you some of the best crispy crust you’ve ever had. It’s made to last with Thermarite, which is a high density & specially formulated cordierite providing engineered strength & excellent durability. The superior heat retention & transfer of this stone provides an even heat that is transmitted directly into the food for better crusts.
What Exactly is a Pizza Stone?
Silly question, right? Well, not everyone knows the difference between a regular pizza pan & a pizza stone, so we’re giving you a quick explanation. A pizza stone nearly duplicates the effects of cooking a pizza in a masonry oven. The porous nature of the pizza stone assists with moisture absorption, resulting in a very crispy crust. The different types include ceramic, clay, stone, and more recently steel. Pizza stones are becoming a must-have item in many kitchens. Many stones have different features, materials & options which make for different baking experiences to get the perfect pizza based on your personal preference.
Check Out The …
Pizza Craft PC9899 20 X 13.5 Rectangular Thermabond Baking/Pizza Stone
This pizza stone brings tremendous value for the price. It’s made of cordierite and will accommodate higher heat. With other stones, you might find that higher heat levels crack or warp pizza stones. You’ll find that this stone is easy to maintain as there is no continued seasoning or conditioning required.
Reputable – The Old Stone Oven Rectangular Pizza Stone
Made of the same material as the Old World’s legendary brick pizza ovens, these stones absorb the oven’s intense heat and transfer it evenly to your bread and pizza dough. The result is the pizzeria pizza you crave, every time.
The Main Differences Between Pizza Stones & Pans
Although there are minimal differences between pizza stones and pizza pans as they ultimately do the same thing, choosing between the two for making pizzas is largely a matter of personal preference and choice.
- Pizza stones require you to turn the oven on sooner to make sure that the pizza stone is completely heated. So you need to preheat the oven, build the pizza on the counter, and transfer the pizza from the counter to the hot stone with a pizza peel.
- Pizza pans are usually easy to use & more convenient for many compared to a pizza stone. It does not require you to turn the oven on early, even though most people still do, or use a pizza peel to transfer the pizza in the oven.
The shape of the pizza while baking with each item also differs. A pizza stone allows you to “form” the pizza as long as it fits on the stone, whereas in case of a pan, the size and shape of the pizza are largely determined by the pan size.
Unique – SOLIDO Rectangular 14x16
The SOLIDO Rectangular Pizza Stone has a unique spiral heat feature not found on any other baking stone on the market today, and it’s the secret to making true pizzeria-quality gourmet pies (and bread, or yummy cookies!) every time.
Various Types of Pizza Stones/ Pizza Pans
If you are a pizza lover and are looking to cook some authentic, crispy pizza at home, a pizza stone is a great way to go. There are various options to choose from including cast iron, clay, stone & steel. Choosing the right pizza stone largely depends on your tindividual preferences and needs. Some of the pros and cons of various pizza stones are listed below.
Cast Iron Pizza Stone
To avoid the hassle of buying new every couple of years or even less, many people choose a cast iron option.
- Heats quickly and much easier to clean
- Durable and won’t easily break or crack
- The cast iron pizza stone is very heavy
Clay Pizza Stones
Clay pizza stones are quite popular to bring out the true flavors of pizza. The other advantage of using a clay stone is much crispier pizza crust. The clay pizza stones are available in plenty of sizes and shapes to choose from.
- Gives a crisp pizza crust with an authentic taste
- A wide number of options available in various shapes and sizes to suit individual needs
- Sometimes difficult to clean and there is some risk of cracks or breaks
- Should be preheated in the oven before you start the cooking process
Steel Pizza Stone
Steel pizza stones are becoming increasingly popular these days.
- Cooking in a steel pizza stone is way faster
- Durable and won’t break or crack
- Cooking is more even and uniform
- Priced on the higher side
- Very heavy and difficult to manage for some
What About Granite?
Quick Heat – Heritage, Black Ceramic 15″
The Heritage, Black Ceramic 15″ Pizza Stone pre-heats up to 2 times faster than other pizza stones & is one of the most loved pizza stones available today. This stone is has a unique black finish & is very heavy & thick. It’s truly one of our favorites.
How to Choose the Right Pizza Pan
So, with all of these options, how do you choose the best pizza stone or pan? Well, here are a few more quick tips and general information to help guide you into making the right decision for you and/or your family.
Old Stone Round Pizza 16” Stone
This pizza stone is not only a great value buy for the money, but also is perfectly shaped, very easy to clean, thick and sturdy, with ridges on the bottom. Although priced a bit high, the crust of pizzas made with this stone is fantastic, making it a great option for those pizza enthusiasts.
- Most pizza pans are either made from aluminum, cast iron, or steel. Whichever you decide to choose, all of these materials should be sturdy and long lasting.
- While choosing your next pizza pan, size should be an important factor. A pizza stone/pan may be circular or rectangular depending on the look you want. From the variety of sizes available. you will have plenty of options to choose from.
- While comparing different pizza pans & stones, make sure to check the thickness. A thicker option can withstand repeated use and stand the test of time better along with cooking your pizza much more evenly.
- Another factor to consider is the nonstick coating. It will help with removal of the pizza from the stone or pan and make it entirely easier to clean.
- Last but not the least, be sure to look at your options thoroughly before choosing the one which best suits your needs. There are several varieties of pizza stones and pans available. We’ve identified several above and welcome you to review each one in great detail in order to make the best choice.
Choosing the perfect pizza stone or pan can play a huge role in making the perfect pizza. We’ve discussed several options above and hope we’ve helped you find the ideal one for you. There are a large number of products available out there to give you the authentic taste of pizza. We hope you’ve enjoyed our reviews and options given to you and encourage you to browse the rest of SmallBatchBaking.Com for additional baking reviews of several different products!